The following is a list of nature-related volunteer opportunities.
We would like to strongly encourage our visitors to consider giving
a helping hand to conservation by donating some time to a nature-related
organization. These organizations cannot do it alone. Let's show
If you are or know of an organization that is seeking volunteers,
please email us at
and we will gladly include you on this page.
Ordered by country, then state.
- All of Canada - butterfly surveys in your area; report forms
- Bronte Butterfly
- Oakville, Ontario, Canada - Butterfly observers needed to monitor
once a week in good weather throughout the summer and take inventory
of the number and type of butterflies observed.
American Butterfly Monitoring Project
- All of North America - conduct butterfly counts and surveys.
- Elberta, Alabama - help reestablish native butterfly plants,
raise butterflies, and give environmental tours. Contact person:
Carol Lovell-Saas (334)987-1200.
County Botanical Garden in Huntsville, Alabama
- Huntsville, Alabama - volunteers needed in butterfly house.
Arthropod Studies Institute (SASI)
- Tucson, AZ - Help with research, education, clerical duties,
gardening and more.
- Tucson Botanical
- Tucson, AZ - Various opportunities involve gift shop, gardens
and grounds, education, horticulture, library, office work.
- Mesker Park Botanic
- Evansville, IN - needs interpreters in butterfly exhibit. Contact
Stephanie Brown at (812) 428-0715, ext 414 for more information.
- Nature Center/Museum, Linn Grove Iowa
- Volunteers are needed to plant and replant the butterfly garden
at the Nature Center/Museum in Linn Grove, Iowa. We are located
22 miles south of Spencer, Iowa, and 18 miles north of Storm Lake,
Iowa. We have started a butterfly garden but will need help expanding
and replanting this spring, probably in May. For further information,
please can contact
Marian M. McNabb
- Wichita, KS - Help out with education, gift shop, gardening
and a lot more.
Garden's Wing of Fancy
- Wheaton, Maryland - needs ticket takers and cashiers
the Pine Bush - home of the endangered Karner Blue Butterfly
- Albany, NY - fund-raising, volunteer coordinator, and more.
This is crucial habitat to many threatened species. Any help you
can give would contribute to its conservation.
- Smithtown, NY - needs help in vivarium.
- Westtown Township, PA
- Looking for volunteers to help maintain newly planted 4800 square
foot butterfly garden located directly behind the township hall
on Route 202. Duties would include weeding, planting, tours/walks
and taking periodic logs of butterfly visitors. Will provide training.
- Butterfly counts and raise, tag and release.
- Costa Rica - Great Green Macaw English
- Interns needed for study of migration and foraging habits of
the endangered Great Green Macaw.
- Ornithology-Christian Birdwatchers Global Fellowship
- Elmo Alles, 11/2, Boyd Place, Colombo-3, Sri Lanka; Would like
to have biblical references,notes & observations. For more
info, send e-mail.
- Various opportunities in many states.
- Project Feeder
Finch and Red-breasted Nuthatch Survey
- Hawk Color
- San Geronimo, CA - Looking for someone with excellent tree-climbing
skills who would like to visit and volunteer climbing trees to
band nestling raptors.
- Bald eagle watch, hawk watch, songbird banding and data entry.
Rehab of Kentucky
- Jefferson, MD - Opportunities for data entry, outdoor maintenance,
monitoring bluebird and songbird nesting box trails, setting up
wildlife habitat information files, writing grant proposals, setting
up wildlife photo and illustration library.
Jersey Audubon Society
- Needs nature walk leaders, sanctuary maintenance, and other.
- New Jersey
Division Fish, Game & Wildlife - Beach Nesting Bird Project
- The Raptor Trust
- Millington, NJ - Needs volunteers from May through August. Work
includes cleaning and maintaining songbird cages, feeding baby
birds, care of orphaned waterfowl, and helping staff members as
needed. Please contact Ellen Goldberg at (908)647-1091 or (908)647-2353.
New Mexico Audubon Society
- Volunteer as a driver or recorder; do not need to be able to
- Needs tour naturalist, chairperson for Nature Night Membership
Program, nature store assistants.
Martin Conservation Association
- Edinboro, PA - During the busy season (December thru June) we
need volunteers for various tasks including Magazine/Catalog labeling,
Shipping Assistant, Clerical (filing, typing, labeling), Field
Assistant (Martin House Maintanance/ Data recording).
Natural Science Museum and Wildlife Sanctuary
- McKinney, TX - needs raptor care assistant, research assistant,
curatorial aide, trail guides, and more.
Mountain Raptor Program
- For biology students.
- Wisconsin Breeding
- West Virginia
Raptor Rehabilitation Center
- MAPS Monitoring - Bubolz Nature Preserve
- Appleton, WI - MAPS Monitoring (Avian Productivity and Survivorship)
program, from the beginning of June through mid August. Participate
with bird banders in the operation of a ten net MAPS station.
Help is needed in the areas of data entry, vegetative surveys,
banding, and net operation. Housing and occasional meals provided.
Contact: Elaine Meyer, Naturalist, Bubolz Nature Preserve, 4815
N. Lynndale Dr., Appleton, WI 54915; 920-731-6041; email@example.com
for a Living Ocean
- Beach Haven, NJ - Partake in the gift shop, trash pick-up, Black
Whale cruises, public events, water quality tracking and lots
- Itereí Brazilian Private Rainforest
- São Paulo, Brazil - Many opportunities are available
from working in the butterfly garden gift shop to performing independent
research. Minimum stay 2 weeks; maximum stay 3 months.
- Various opportunities in many states.
- Roman Nose State Park
- Watonga, OK - We are looking for volunteers for various
parts of our operation. We can use people with just about any
talent. We are especially interested in folks who RV because we
have no park housing. Volunteers can give visitor or school programs,
operate the nature center, enter computer data, participate in
habitat improvement projects such as tree and flower plantings
and nest box building, trail building and maintenance, exhibit
design and roving interpretation. Any volunteers who give at least
30 hours per week will be provided with a free RV or camping space.
We have a beautiful park for those who are able to take advantage
of free time for this purpose. Like most parks, we are extremely
understaffed. Our address is: Roman Nose State Park, Rt. 1, Watonga,
OK 73772;(580) 623-7281 ext. 311
Rockies Restoration Project
- Western CO & Northern NM - Manual restoration projects.